Glasgow Helps Community Hub Launched
A new helpline for people in Glasgow seeking support during the Covid-19 crisis has been launched by public and voluntary sector partners.
The helpline is for members of the public seeking help, such as food delivery or mental health support, and for charities who need support with offering a service to communities.
The helpline is a partnership between Glasgow Council for the Voluntary Sector (GCVS), Volunteer Glasgow, Glasgow City Council and Glasgow Health and Social Care Partnership. Calls will be answered by staff from all these bodies, and from the Scottish Fire & Rescue Service.
The helpline has three main aims;
- Helping people in need: Putting those who need help and support, in touch with a charity or community group in their area
- Volunteers: Connecting people who want to volunteer with organisations and groups that are looking for extra help
- Advice for charities and community organisations: Providing expert advice on the practical issues they face during the Covid-19 crisis, such as advice on HR, using digital methods of communication and accessing funding.
Contacting the Helpline
A new helpline has been set up to act as a single point of contact for anyone seeking or offering help. The helpline is currently open Monday to Friday, 9 am – 5 pm and can be contacted by:
Telephone: 0141 345 0543
Website and Directory
GCVS has also launched the Glasgow Helps website to highlight services that people can access at this time or where there is spare capacity for new clients.Please share this information widely and use it to connect people with support needs.
We will keep updating the directory frequently.
Adding your organisation to the Directory
- Are you providing support to people around Covid19?
- Have you set up a new service to deal with what is happening?
- Can your group or organisation support new clients?
- Do you have services with spare capacity
If you have a service that could be included, you can add your organisation via a link on the webpage.
Taking your organisation out of the Directory
If we have included your service and details change, e.g. you can no longer support new people or if you have any questions, please email CLD@gcvs.org.uk. We can then make your service ‘inactive’ so you don’t get new requests.
Volunteering on the helpline
We would like to expand the hours that the telephone helpline operates and we are looking for more volunteers for the rota. You will be given full training and support in the role.
If you will work in the public sector or in a third sector organisation in Glasgow, can spare a few hours and have access to a mobile phone, contact us by completing the online survey here or by email: firstname.lastname@example.org. We are particularly keen to hear from people who speak other languages.
Volunteering in another role
If you are looking for volunteers, or would like to volunteer for a local organisation, you can contact Volunteer Glasgow or telephone: 0141 345 0543 (choose option 3) or email:email@example.com
More info on the Volunteer Scotland website here